Antony for safety checks on subs
Even as India could consider emergency acquisition of submarines in the wake of the INS Sindhurakshak disaster, defence minister A.K. Antony has ordered “extensive checks on weapon related safety systems and audit of standard operating procedures on all operational submarines of the Indian Navy” in the wake of the tragic incident last week that gutted the INS Sindhurakshak submarine at the Mumbai naval dockyard leading to loss of 18 lives of the naval personnel inside.
In a suo moto statement on the incident in the Rajya Sabha on Monday, Mr Antony also said “preliminary investigations indicate that the explosion was due to the possible ignition of armament” but that “the cause, of ignition is however yet to be established”. The minister further said, “Initial assessments indicate that an internal explosion occurred in the forward compartment of the submarine, where ordnance was stored, resulting in further near-simultaneous explosions, and major fire onboard INS Sindhurakshak.”
Speculation is rife that India could consider emergency acquisition of at least two conventional diesel-electric submarines to shore up its depleting submarine fleet strength. After the INS Sindhurakshak disaster, the Indian Navy only has 13 conventional diesel-electric submarines left and one nuclear-powered submarine. Of the existing fleet, it is unclear whether all are operationally available since submarines also undergo refurbishment.
Meanwhile, virtually conceding that all 18 naval personnel on board were dead, the minister said, “Eighteen naval duty personnel, comprising three officers and 15 sailors, were inside the submarine at the time of the incident. As the explosion and resultant damage were near instantaneous, these personnel could not evacuate. Although full details are yet to emerge, the rapidity and intensity of the explosion and the resultant damage sustained by the submarine indicate that the personnel would not have survived.”
“Extensive checks on weapon related safety systems and audit of standard operating procedures on all operational submarines of the Indian Navy have been ordered,” the minister told the Rajya Sabha.
“Visual and forensic examination would throw more light into the possible cause of ignition. This will be possible only after the submarine is afloat and dewatered,” he said.
Post new comment